Wednesday, January 13, 2016

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends!

I just spent the day at a restaurant with a couple of great friends, although we were missing one from the group today who was unable to attend.   These are not girls that I am able to hang out with every day as we live in different parts of the valley. However, we love to get together to share a common interest: writing.  Each of us has a deep passion for writing. We have important things to tell the world and penning these ideas on paper is the path we have chosen.

Have you ever left someone's company feeling inspired and encouraged?  That is what these friends do for me.   If we are stuck on an aspect of writing, we are able to brainstorm together.  If we are needing an honest assessment of our work, we know we can count on each other to be truthful and helpful.  If we are embarking on a new writing adventure, we can count on each other to show enthusiasm.  I always leave our meetings wanting to go home and write!

We all need people in our lives who "get" us. When someone asks me about my projects, my heart FILLS with joy and  I could talk all day about it.  However, for the listener , a little bit may go a long way.   When you are with others who share a common interest, the sky is the limit.  You never have to worry about talking too much about one topic because they will be talking just as much about the same topic!

When this particular group and I get together, we play off of each other's humor well, which makes it even more fun!  We laugh and giggle and crack silly jokes.  There is a lot of play on words because words are our best friends!  If I use the same humor around my husband, I am more likely to get an eye roll than a chuckle. Although he is my biggest fan, our humor is not always on the same wavelength.

I want to encourage each of you to find your niche. What are your interests? What talents do you have? Find a group that will nurture those gifts. Meet with them periodically and experience that enjoyment of being you completely.   We have to spend enough time during our days trying to fit into molds that are too confining. Allow yourselves the freedom to meet with like-minded people who cheer you on in your endeavors.  It keeps us going!

The girls and I have been very excited to gather our talents together and offer opportunities to be that encouraging word in another writer's life and help them to achieve their dreams.  You can learn more about us (myself, Carol Green, Phyllis Vavold and Sheila Eismann) and see for yourself the exciting things that are going on in our world by visiting http://idahocreativeauthorsnetwork.com/ . We love being able to meet with other people that have  the passion for writing because we are able to customize our events according to their needs.

2 comments: