Friday, February 19, 2016

How do you know this song?



I am sure my husband thinks that I have a split personality.  He is a pastor, making me a pastor’s wife. I clarify that because I had a new friend introduce herself telling me that her husband was a pastor, but she was NOT a pastor’s wife.  However, I am. I try my best to come beside him and support him and help with the different activities at the church. He and I have both been on the praise team at church.  When we go to town we listen to talk radio or the Christian music station.

One day we got into the car and a commercial was on the radio. Soon after a rap song came on and I started bouncing to the beat…then I started singing the words. In my peripheral vision I see my husband staring at me. I look back and freeze mid beat. “What?”

“How in the world could you possibly know this song?” 

I straighten myself into the prim and proper position (as prim and proper as a country pastor’s wife can muster) and explained simply, “Well, when the boys and I go to town, they take turns with the music stations. When Eli is up front, he likes old rock or the Christian station. When it is up to Chris, he likes the country station or hip hop…..obviously Chris was the last one to sit up front.” Simple. That still didn’t explain how I knew the songs. I just explained that it was a catchy tune and we spend a lot of time in the car!

That’s okay, I do like to administer the shock and awe treatment once in awhile. He would always laugh when I would be drawn to people who wore dreadlocks in their hair. I told him I wanted to do it. He didn’t think I was serious. However, I met a clerk at a store one day who had them in her hair. She was just starting them so I asked how it was done. She told me how and said I could try them out without fully committing to it just to see if I would like it.

Well, lo and behold we were having a wedding at the church the next week and it was a nerd themed wedding. Everyone was dressing as a nerd or superhero or whatever. I asked the bride to be if I could go as a hippie nerd. Her mother commented “You’re coming as yourself?” Ha. Ha. I wasn’t laughing anymore though when I started looking through my dresser drawers and realized that I didn’t have to go shopping for my outfit. She was right!  

So I took the opportunity to put my hair into temporary dreadlocks and had a blast with it!  It really didn’t take me too long to do and only about two hours to comb it out the next day but I had fun. I  think my husband was a little fearful that I might want to keep them. I let him think that for a day.

I love my husband and he loves me. I know he won’t leave me if I am wearing dreads and singing to Snoop Dog. It’s my job to keep him on his toes…and I do!

2 comments: