Friday, March 11, 2016

No More Carbs!

GUEST  BLOGGER - Kimbre Christopher

Meet Kimbre! She is 27 years old. She has three boys and is expecting her fourth in May of 2016. Kimbre and her husband spend a lot of time not only raising their children in Christ, but help to raise other children to know Him through their church's Awana Club. Kimbre is starting a new chapter of her life as a "stay-at-home" mom. She is eager to share what she has been learning in this new part of her life.  

At my latest prenatal check-up, I had to do the glucose test, and as if drinking that stuff isn’t bad enough, they follow it up with an hour long wait in the waiting room and a blood draw. Of course, my nurse tells me about the blood draw while she’s taking my blood pressure. Ha! She looks at the numbers and comments on how high it is. Well, duh, did you expect anything else? She leaves the room and I wait for my doctor to come in.  

My doctor comes in and we listen to the baby’s heartbeat. He measures my stomach and then looks at my weight gain and my blood pressure. He was not pleased with either. Up until this point I had only gained 7 pounds total, until this this last month, when I gained 6 pounds alone. He looks at me and sadly tells me that if I do not want to deliver a 10 pound baby that I should probably give up carbs. “Give up carbs? I live on carbs; can’t I just drink more water and walk more?”

He smiles at me, “No. You can drink more water and walk more, but carbs go straight to the placenta and add pounds quickly to the baby.”

I sadly nod in understanding, “Okay.” I head out to the waiting room to wait to get my blood drawn. My husband arrives to sit with me and I tell him about the carbs and all he can do is laugh at me, knowing my diet that consists of nachos, quesadillas, pancakes, and enough pasta to end world hunger.

“Are you supposed to starve? The boys and I aren’t giving up carbs with you, sorry.” Thanks honey!  After the blood draw is done, we head for home to fix dinner…and what is on my menu for that night? Pasta!

Now as I look at my month long menu, I wonder how I am going to manage cutting carbs from my diet. So I think and think. I finally came to the conclusion that I cannot cut them out completely, so I try to cut them down to only one meal a day. If I know we are having some sort of carb for dinner, I try to steer clear of them throughout the rest of the day. So much easier said than done though, especially since my husband has decided that there needs to be a steady supply of cookies in the house! 


Oh I can’t wait for the baby to be born so I can eat carbs without worrying about having to birth a calf! 

Follow Kimbre's blog!

2 comments:

  1. Great article written with humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I had that test done the first time and it came back okay, I went and celebrated with a hot fudge sundae. With the next child I was not as lucky and still cannot stand orange soda to this day as that was the flavor of sugar drink I chose for my test. Still gives me the shivers!

    ReplyDelete