Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Who Are You?


I read a great book right now called You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like It) by Jeff Goins.   I have never had a how-to book make me cry, but this one has.  I shared with one of my facebook groups and with my husband yesterday that I think it has finally hit me that I am a writer.

I wrote throughout high school, the dark poems that most teens do. Writing at that time was my lifeline and still is but just in a different aspect. When life started happening, however, with marriage and kids , I put the pen down for many years  (almost 20 in fact). 

Going through a bit of a dark spell, I thought I would pick it back up and try getting the thoughts out of my head like I used to in high school so that I could move on with my day.   Again, it was dark poetry but it helped me through.  I think my mom broke the spell. She asked me one day if I would write a poem for my grandmother's hundredth birthday. I agreed but realized that I had never been assigned a poem topic before. I decided what angle I would take it but had to do some research. I had never done that for a poem either. This was all very foreign to me. 

That was five years ago and now I have written two books, an e-booklet and have been a contributing author to four other books. It is just now hitting me that I am a writer.  It overwhelms me because my dreams of becoming an author are finally coming true and I am the one making it happen. How? By writing; not by thinking about it and not by talking about, but actually doing it.

I want to encourage you to figure out who you are. What do you want to do? Then do it! Who do you want to be? Then be it!  It's up to you. Be who you were created to be and then let your passion shine through!

https://www.facebook.com/JoEllenClaypoolAuthor/
http://www.amazon.com/JoEllen-Claypool/e/B008I6EGR6

No comments:

Post a Comment