Monday, February 1, 2016

"You're kinda in my way."

At the beginning of our Awana kids club, we open with standing up and presenting the colors. I sit in the front row with the three and four year olds. As we got ready to say the pledge, a kindergartner standing behind me tapped me gently on the back. I turned around. He leaned forward and quietly said, "Miss JoEllen, you're kinda in my way." I apologized and moved to the side. His politeness made me smile, but it also made me think. Are we in somebody's way today? Have we been a stumbling block?

My husband did a sermon on Jonah one time and talked about how they had to throw Jonah overboard before the storm would calm. He briefly mentioned things that might be Jonahs in our lives that need to be tossed overboard. Then he asked a tougher question: "Are you a Jonah in somebody else's life? Are you causing a storm in the life of another?" Are you in somebody's way?

If you are having to confront a person in your life, the very first thing you want to do is take it to the Lord in prayer. Don't make any rash decisions. It may be a storm that will blow over. Maybe you or the other person just had a bad day. If the behavior continues, you may need to evaluate your part in the situation. Many times, I am ashamed to say , it has been my own heart that was in the wrong. After getting advice one day, my friend told me the deciding factor as to when to speak up was if the behavior was affecting somebody else or if other people are being drawn into the situation. If that's the case it needs to be addressed according to the Bible verses in Matthew 18:15-17.

There may come a time that you need to tell somebody "You're kinda in my way."  But make sure to examine your own heart from time to time to make sure you won't be hearing those words from somebody else.  Communication is key!

No comments:

Post a Comment