Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Confessions of a First-Time Flyer

I’ll be the first to admit that I am like the least adventurous person you will ever meet in your life! I know that about myself, but certain situations have a way of pushing you out of your comfort zone and what’s a gal to do?  My husband asked me one time if I wanted to go to Hawaii. I said, “Oh! Did they build a bridge? Because you are not getting me on a plane.” That subject was dropped. I have missed some pretty amazing trips because of my fear of flying although I had no basis for my fear. It just makes no sense to me how they can get a piece of tin loaded with luggage and hundreds of people up in the air for hours on end. 
Little did I know that cross selling bank products would be detrimental to my emotional status. I was not a good bank teller. I couldn’t get my drawer to balance to save my life, but I could cross sell the heck out of our products. It wasn’t because I understood the products or used many of them, but I received $5 for every referral.  Baby needed new shoes! Cha-ching! So every person who came to my line politely listened to my spiels about the newest product we had. I’m not sure if I had them genuinely interested or if they finally said yes so I would be quiet. Didn’t matter. Five bucks, five bucks, five bucks!
There were always generous incentives for us, but I tried to tone it WAY down when I found out that the prize was a flight to Park City, Utah for a bobsled ride with Olympic gold medalist, Jimmy Shea. Did I mention I was not adventurous? Do you see anything seriously wrong with this picture?  I tried not to talk to people. I tried to get them to go to the lines of the other tellers. But the day that I saw the president of the Bank come in with two other people and a camera…I knew I was doomed. “Congratulations, JoEllen, you have won a trip!” The pictures didn’t reveal  the terror in my mind. I hid it very well. 
Time went on and a year later I decided I was going to become a stay-at-home mom. My supervisor said, we need to schedule your trip before you leave. I assured her it was alright, but she was adamant.  It was scheduled and a group of friends came by my house to drop off a basket of silliness including a pack of Depends. I didn’t think that part was silly, I figured I would be needing those for sure. My husband went on the trip with me and consoled me as I gripped the  handles on the little plane we started out on and then chuckled at me once we got in the air and I couldn’t get my nose away from the window as I tried to decipher the clouds from the snow.
A couple of months ago, ten years after that first flight experience, I needed to travel to a funeral….alone this time. I had my husband to figure out the airport terminals before and now I had to do it. My brother arranged our flights so that I would meet him in Minnesota and told me he would be there before me. After printing my ticket, I told him that it didn’t have the gate number on it. He instructed that I would have to wait til I got there. My response was, “I don’t wait well. You find me!”

My husband dropped me off at the airport. I boarded and after finding my seat, I immediately pulled out my journal. Writing calms me and I could feel tears rising. I wanted to reach for my tissue pack but felt that would only be giving myself permission to cry. "What if I get sick," I thought. I pulled the seat pocket out in front of me to see if it would hold what I had to offer, need be. No I did not see the little paper bag til my brother pointed it out in Minneapolis. My seating partner immediately put on earphones, a universal sign (my brother informed me) meaning "No I do not want to talk." I peeked at people. Everyone looked so confident. As we began to move, I felt funny. It dawned on me then that maybe my aisle partner isn't so confident but is actually listening to a CD on How to Not Freak Out While Flying. I wanted to ask her if she had an extra set of headphones. All of a sudden we are in the air...and I wasn’t crying...Yay me! It was amazing. Did I mention the pilot was 12? He looked way too young to be flying a plane for sure. When my brother greeted me, I hugged him and sang the Pull Ups song: “I'm a big girl now!”  So a bobsled ride (which was AMAZING) and six times on a plane, my options are limitless now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment