Friday, March 11, 2016

If it has a plug in or a battery, keep it away!

I am always jokingly(?) telling my husband that when it comes to electronics I have a negative psychokinetic energy that breaks whatever device is in my presence or at the very least makes them act up. The copier will jam over and over again. I call for my husband's help and he is able to get it working with no problem whatsoever. He usually just looks at me and smiles, not expressing his frustration of me taking him away from his task.  Phones won't function, my kindle will act up, even one of my car keys refuses to work in my presence.

I made a fool out of myself today when my husband said he would keep one of the car keys on his key ring. I told him he couldn't because one key was to start the car and one was to unlock the doors. I had tried that other key several times every which way possible and could never get it to start the car. We get in the car and he uses the key he took off the ring and it started right up.   My 17 year old apparently has been touched by the same issue as me. He walked through the door after using the car today saying that he could not get the key to start the car and had to use the other one.  I felt validated.

I have never met anybody else with the same problems in regards to this issue to the extent that I suffer...until today.   Now I understand my husband's smile. It can be pretty comical. I went over to a client's house and we began our book coaching session. After finding the correct names and passwords for certain screens, we were finally where we needed to be. We began setting up an account. This took several tries as certain characters were left out of the password or username. Giggles were starting.  Because of this, we had to set up a new account EACH time. We reached a point that the computer was no longer responding to the commands we were giving it. The giggles spill out.

After realizing we now had four accounts floating out in cyberspace and still no confirmation through the email, we decided to call the company. My client picked up her cell phone and dialed the number and put it on speaker phone. "All circuits are busy, please try again later." Laughter fills the room.

"Are you kidding me?!" my client screams.

"Isn't that like a rotary phone issue? I have never had that happen on my cell phone!" I said. "Try it again." This time the call went through. She explained to the person what had happened and the screens we were seeing. As she is talking, she is walking through the steps again on the computer. This time it worked when she hit the "Continue" button. She slaps me on the arm and we both throw our heads back in silent laughter, trying not to let the company operator hear us. We hit the next button and it did just as it was supposed to, getting us to the next screen. She politely thanked the person and said everything was now working.

Things worked very slick after that, but it makes it very hard to write a step by step process for someone when the those steps don't give you the correct response each time. Good grief!


No comments:

Post a Comment