Monday, March 21, 2016

Lesson Learned!

As the old saying goes, “You learn something new every day”. That is so true. Some days we have to look a bit harder than others, but I am always happy when I have learned a new tidbit of information.  Let me share with you what I learned today:  don’t try a new hairstyle 30 minutes before you have to be somewhere.  

Recently I shared some videos on facebook that demonstrated fun hairstyles for long hair.   I tend to wear my hair in the same four styles: partially up in a barrette, in a French braid, in a braided ponytail, or in a bun on the run. So when I see a video with fresh styles I Pin It or share it or save it to my picture files.   Apparently, I have never tried any of these examples before. 

My husband texted me today and asked me to meet him in town for coffee. I had been doing errands  and had a wrinkled t-shirt on and my hair up in a bun on the run.   I didn’t want to meet my husband looking like that so I put on a nice shirt and thought to myself, “Self, wouldn’t it be fun to try one of those new styles we watched on the videos this week?”  “Yes, Self, let’s!”

I’m not sure I will take Self’s advice next time.   Apparently, these videos that show the examples being done on someone with long, sleek, shiny hair are not supposed to be done on people who have long, naturally curly, mind-of-its-own hair. There should really be a disclaimer on this.

I go to the mirror and pull back my first section of hair that is usually in the barrette. The barrette doesn’t normally give me any problems; I slide it across the section and latch it. Done.  Obviously, I have not ever tried to put a section of long hair into a ponytail holder. I pulled it through once. No problem. I twist it and pull it through again, catching some of the extra dangling hair.  With a bit of pain, I pulled it through. I flipped that section over my head, hoping it would not catch like that again, but this time it caught on its own self. More tugging and adjusting was needed.  Finally, that FIRST part was done.  Now I had to pull back another section…and go through the same process.  Same results. But I’m over half way done and not giving up now.  Whew! Okay, done with that part. 

Next, I had to push the bottom ponytail over the top and through the top ponytail. I put my fingers through an opening trying to grab the whole section of hair and pulled it half way through. I’m in trouble. I painfully get it through. I find a mirror and look at my….not so much of a masterpiece that definitely doesn’t look like the picture. I can’t go like this! 

It is now five minutes away from the time that I was supposed to meet my husband who is sitting and waiting for me in a restaurant 20 minutes away.   I painfully pull the ponytail back through and begin the task of trying to take the elastic bands out of my rat’s nest. Pulling and tugging strand by strand, trying to unwind 2 ½ feet of hair from the bands had me looking in the mirror and laughing.  “What am I going to do?” I actually asked Self out loud, but was not willing to take Self’s advice when she said, “You’ll have to cut it.”    I couldn’t cut the bands out without getting a good chunk of hair with it. 

 I left the first and started on the second one thinking it would come out easier. Yeah…not sure why I thought that.  It didn’t .  I just grabbed each band and started tugging and tugging, clumps of hair falling to the floor.

FINALLY! They were off my head. I prayed I could get a brush through it. Painfully, I did. I tossed my hair into a full ponytail and braided it and out the door I ran. I was 15 minutes late to my very important date but walked in refreshed enough to visit. I let my secret out when I got home.


Lesson learned!

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Oh do I know that pain. Yes, they should have a disclaimer on things of that nature.

    ReplyDelete