Friday, March 18, 2016

Tips to Working With Cover Designers


I have learned some important things when it comes to working with cover designers and illustrators. The cover is a very important part of the book. The title, subtitle, and presentation of the cover is going to be the first hook the reader has. You want to make sure that it all comes together to support the topic of your book.
   
- Many times, the designer will want to meet with you personally so that they can get a good feel for what you are looking for. They may request to read a portion of  your book so they understand fully what you are trying to convey to the reader.  

- Bring as much information and detail as  you can to the meeting. The more you have, the easier it will make the designer's job resulting in a lower cost for you.   If you already have an actual picture, bring that to them.

- Make sure to be specific with your timeline so that they understand when you are expecting to have it finished.

- The designer wants you to be happy with their work. Communication is key to this.   They may try different fonts and colors. Respectfully, give your feedback. If you are not happy with something, let them know and also let them know what you do like about their work. They are working for you and want referrals to come their way so they will go above and beyond the call of duty to give you what you want.

- Trust your designer. This is their job. Many times, they will know what will capture the reader's eye better than we do.

With my second book, I had had a general idea for the front cover but I had something very specific in mind for the back cover.   I wanted chains and a lock as I talked in the book about being bound by the chains of our past.

When I received it, the front cover was beautiful! I was so happy with it. I was anxious to see the back cover. Instead of locks, however,  there was a watermark of a baby's face. I was not very pleased. I emailed the designer and asked if he could please place the lock and chains on it as I had asked. Then I softened and explained that I thought it was a beautiful picture that he used, but it took my breath away and I was not prepared for it. I then asked if he could send me what I had requested so that I could look at the pictures side by side.   He did exactly as I asked and what I had been so set on having on my cover honestly looked dumb compared to the one he had chosen to use.

I was thankful he had a bigger vision than I did for the topic of my book. I knew if it had made that big of an impact with me, it surely would with others as well.  

Writing is a process!

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

The Secrets Behind the Eyes
A Realist's Guide to Being a Pastor's Wife
Are You on the Verge of a Spiritual Heart Attack?



No comments:

Post a Comment