Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Book Signing Tips


I have said it before: If I had ever known how much public speaking was involved from writing a book, I would have never written a word.  I write because I don't speak well! Because I love writing so much, I am glad I was ignorant to that concept. There I was, at the point of no return so I figured I might as well understand how this machine worked and get it rolling.

My first published work was with a group of authors from the Pixie Chicks Writer's Group. We compiled a book of short stories and poems. It was a great opportunity on many levels. One that I benefited from the most was the experience of the book signing. Being a part of the Idaho Authors Community, we chose to do a group signing in a local coffee shop. Of course I had never done one and had no idea what it would look like, especially as a group. I did not want to make a fool out of myself so I decided to do a couple of smaller signings with couple of women from the group.

We set up a table at a farmer's market. I watched how the other women interacted with the public and how they set up the table. It gave me a chance to practice my elevator speech, the one to two minute tag for your book. Finally the day came for the big signing. The coffee shop was full of authors and tables filled with books of every genre. It was a thrill to visit with public about our own books, but we were also able to find out what they were looking for and direct them to the other authors to fill those needs.

I have done several book signings since and it is a simple formula now.  I would like to share some tips with you.

PLACE - Although you can hold a signing in a bookstore or a library, it is not recommended unless you are doing a reading from one of your books that will gather people specifically for that. The reasoning is because otherwise you are in competition with all of the other books on the shelves.
Coffee shops offer a cozy environment, farmer's markets or holiday bazaars have a lot of foot traffic. Look for places that are highly visible and that you  know gets a lot of business.

COST  - Set up a day and time with the person in charge. Make sure and ask if there will be a fee to do it. Many times, if it is in a little shop, the owner will be happy with the extra business but you always want to make sure so you are not caught off guard.

ADVERTISE - Before the signing date, put ads in the local newspapers, hang fliers around town, distribute postcards in local businesses, mail notices to friends, create a facebook event and use other social media, anything that will bring awareness to your event. The week of your event, send out personal reminders to people that you hope to see them on that specific date and remind them of the time and place.

HELP  - If at all possible, visit with a friend who would be willing to come to the signing with you as a secretary. They would check people out and write receipts. Instruct them to write the name and address of the customer on the receipt so that you can personally contact them when your next book comes out or for future events. By having a helper, that will free you up to mingle with the customers.

SET UP:  On the day of the event, give yourself plenty of time (at least an hour) to set up and get comfortable. Bring a card table in case the facility does not have one to use. Bring a couple of folding chairs, although you may be standing most of the time. Have a nice table cloth to place on the table. Set your business cards or post cards out  and a couple stacks of your book(s). It is nice to have a little stand to set one book upright. If you have pictures or gimmicks, put those in place. For example: In my book, A Realist's Guide to Being a Pastor's Wife, I talk about using lipstick to write Bible verses on my bathroom mirror. I ordered some sample lipsticks from Avon and I spread those out on my signing table. I also have done a youtube video called The Real Faces of a Pastor's Wife so I compiled some pictures from that video and made an 8X10 of it and framed it to set up on the table. Also, a little dish of candy is always appealing to people.  Make sure you have brought your cash box, your receipt book,  and plenty of petty cash.

ENJOY  - Relax and have fun with the customers!

Visit my author page on facebook!





     




No comments:

Post a Comment