Wednesday, February 24, 2016

I heard her say "Grandma"!



Oh, that I could have all of my grandchildren gathered around me all the time!  What a happy grandma I would be!  I have the privilege  of seeing some of my grandchildren every weekend and I cherish those times. I know we are building memories!  We get to be involved in their sports, we get to teach them about God, and we get to be silly together  The other grands don't live as close, but I will do what I can to let them know who we are.  

We were able to meet two of our grandchildren for the first time last summer. Our granddaughter was the older of the two and was a bit reserved at first although she quickly fell in love with her uncles. She had a sweetness about her as she sported her freckles and shoulder-length braids.  Our grandson had been waiting patiently on the sidewalk for our van to pull up. He had the curliest blonde hair that I had ever seen!  I opened my door and got out. He took one look at me and said "Hi, Grandma!" My heart was his.  We spent a beautiful time with them that weekend.

Another granddaughter lives in another state as well. I was thrilled to be able to watch this little one be born, but then they moved away.  We have gotten to see her once a year. I have sent her a story book in which I was able to record myself reading so she would know Grandma's voice.   The other night, I was able to talk to her and she is starting to say real words...like Grandma!  She would say "Grandma!" then jabber and jabber.  I heard her Daddy tell her to say goodbye and that she loved me. As plain as day she said, "But I talking to my grandma!"  I did not want to get off the phone with her . I wanted to call back the next morning and at lunch and at dinnertime just to hear her say that again!

With one of my grandsons, it depends on what setting I am in as to which name he calls me.  At his house, he calls me JoEllen, but as soon as he gets in the car, he calls me Grandma. At Awana, he calls me Teacher, He makes me laugh.  I wasn't sure what my grandkids would call me as I have heard so many nicknames: G-ma, Nona, Baboo.  My boys have called their grandma, JoJo. My older boy called her Josie (her nickname) but the little ones had a hard time with that so called her JoJo.

I may not be able to see them every day. I know we will be blessed with many special moments. I may only be able to call them or send gifts so that they know who grandpa and grandma are, but we will make the most of those opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment