Thursday, February 11, 2016

Start Small



Writing a book has been a life-long dream.  Once my kids became teenagers and our schedule started slowing down a bit, I became restless. I worried about what I would do when my kids left home and my husband was working. My whole world had revolved around the school and sports schedules of my sons. I started writing a bit again; poetry and journaling helped me get my thoughts sorted.

Then one day, I had been approached at church about doing a women's Bible study on The Fine Art of Female Friendship by Jane Freund. I started reading it on my own and was overwhelmed with the content. I saw that the author was local and she had provided her contact information in the book. I wrote to her and let her know the impact that her book was making in my life. She wrote back and offered to be a part of our study. I was thrilled to and have author in our midst!

Jane and I exchanged contact information and one day I received an email from her inviting me to submit poetry or short stories for a chance of being chosen to be a contributing author to a new book, An Eclectic Collage Volume 2: Relationships of Life. I submitted two poems and a short story and then I waited on pins and needles to hear back. Finally, the day came when I found out that my work had been accepted and I would be a published author!

It is still amazing to me the timeliness of this whole scenario. Just a few short months before, I was of the mindset that I had to pay in order to get my work published.  One of the first very valuable lessons I learned was that "Money flows TO the author not FROM the author". By being a part of that first book, I learned what was involved in a book signing and how to promote and market a book. Through additional workshops that were available through Jane, I learned the steps of writing, formating and publishing a book.

Because of the thrill that comes with being a first-time author, my heart has been to see other new authors experience that feeling.   I have mentored and edited for two young women as well as edited for more seasoned authors. Becoming a book coach has had me on cloud nine as I am covering all of the things I love: reading and structuring to see a book come to completion, reliving my first moments as an author as I witness the emotions of the people I work with as they complete each step, guiding them in having their first book signings, and sitting back as I watch them beam while they talk about their new book to prospective buyers.

To expand even further now, I have been able to team up with a group of women with the same heart and passion. Together we formed the Idaho Creative Authors Network and we use our skills of speaking and our knowledge of the step by step process, social media and administration to offer workshops and contests for others who want to write but do not know where to go from there. We host writing events, inviting talented speakers with a wealth of information, as well as make ourselves available for conferences and individual consults.

If you are interested in writing a book, but that seems like an overwhelming task, I would offer a suggestion:  start small by journaling then look for contests in the area, write articles for a local newspaper or church newsletter or anywhere that you can practice your writing skills. Then dive into that book you have been wanting to write!  You have something to offer that the world needs to hear!

Find out more about our upcoming Spring Writers Symposium and Writing Contest!

No comments:

Post a Comment